There is one thing we all have in common and that is we are getting older day by day.
Like it or not, it is the truth and we can’t stop the process. We can choose to take care of our bodies by living a healthy lifestyle by eating well and exercising. I choose to stay healthy by doing yoga and aerobics weekly, as well as walking and swimming.
It’s not easy to admit that I can’t physically do the things I used to do, even though I want to. I don’t hear as well and have to say, “Excuse me.” I asked my daughter if she thought I needed a hearing aid and she said, “No!” She has just learned to speak louder. I don’t see as well and need eye glasses. It’s embarrassing when in the middle of a sentence, I can’t remember the word, or I forget what I went into the bedroom for. I am grateful that my friends understand and are in the same boat when we finish each other’s sentence. Can you relate?
- Do I ACCEPT and welcome the aging process gracefully or do I deny it and push myself to do things because I don’t want to look weak or old?
- Do I ACCEPT my limitations and natural progression or do I beat up on myself?
- Do I ACCEPT my grey hair, wrinkles and saggy skin?
- Do I ACCEPT my chicken skin neck?
- Do I ACCEPT all the supplements I have to take to stay healthy?
- Do I accept the aches and pains that just seem to appear out of nowhere?
Sometimes it takes me awhile to ACCEPT something I have no control over; like when my arms “jiggle” or when I see my “crinkly” skin that looks like my grandmothers did. I ask myself, “How and when did this happen?” I look around at other women to see if their skin is “crinkly” like mine. What difference does it make, who cares?
The truth is my body is aging and doing what it needs to do. I am invited to love it – all of it. I am learning to laugh at myself and what is happening with my body and mind. When I share with a friend about forgetting, they say, “I am so glad you shared that because I am not alone.”
The other day Larry said to me, “Look at my hands, they look OLD.” We both laughed knowing it was the truth. We know we are in the WINTER of our journey on earth. We live each day in gratitude and love. We are not promised tomorrow and we don’t know when our train is coming in. Larry says he wakes up each morning with a heart full of gratitude and ends the day with a heart full of gratitude. I do the same.
I would like to share with you the BLESSING OF THE HANDS that we said to each other on our wedding day.
BLESSING OF THE HANDS
- These are the hands of your best friend, strong and full of love for you. They are holding yours today as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow and forever.
- These are the hands that will work alongside yours, as you continue your future together.
- These are the hands that will passionately love and cherish you through the years and with the slightest touch will comfort you like no other.
- These are the hands that will hold you when you fear or grief fills your mind.
- These are the hands that will give you strength when you need it, support and encouragement to pursue your dreams, and comfort you in difficult times.
- Most importantly, always remember that these are God’s hands loving you.
- And lastly, these are the hands that even when wrinkled and aged, will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness and love with just a touch.
My prayer for all of us is that we will welcome the aging process gracefully, that we ACCEPT “what is” and appreciate what we do have. Rather than focusing on what’s not working or missing, we focus on what is working. Let us accept and love our bodies and minds; wrinkles, crinkles, sagging and everything else. Let us celebrate who we are and how far we have come.
Gratitude is my attitude as I focus on and appreciate the beauty around me; the flowers, sunsets, birds, trees and ocean. I appreciate my family and friends for the love and support they give me.
|Stay updated by signing up!|
Simply A Woman of Faith
Pat’s book, Simply A Woman of Faith, is available for only $16.45 (incl. S&H).
Click here to order.
Share This Experience!
Author, Inspirational Speaker, Spiritual Coach, Retreat Leader & Radio Talk Show Host
Simply A Woman of Faith
621 Laniolu Place Kihei, HI 96753